Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Is It Worth the Time It Takes

Is It Worth the Time It Takes
3-16-11

Is it worth the time it takes
The precious hours it snakes away from grasping fingers
Ever reaching for yesterday, but never holding the gilded present

Is it worth the time it steals
From existing, from exchanging
glances, words, thoughts

Is it worth the time it takes
Or does it leave you wondering what you are doing
Where you are going and why you are talking instead of stopping
Your mouth and simply embracing each second as it passes

What are they worth anyway- Seconds feeding minutes
Feeding hours that drain life
Can they be redeemed- Can they be exchanged for trinkets or love
And if they could would we- And if we would should we-
What are they worth- These microscopic measures that create our existence
Grains of sand bouncing against each other and creating a frame
In which I can love, laugh, or sleep
Like my heartbeat I am never aware of their existence, these slivering shimmering
Splinters of time rolling into clouds of being on which I sit
And sometimes do nothing.

Is it worth the time it takes
To prepare, to act, to create- What is the real purpose
Of what we do-Could we ever put a price on our actions-
If we did would we be wasting our precious commodity-

True, we are all paid alike. Regardless of skill or know-how
86,400 units of life are given to each and every creature.
The lover embracing his girl receives the same measure of life
Given to the man about to throw himself from Sears Tower

A second cannot be regained. The system strictly guards
Its dispensation and thwarts all attempts to relive our pasts
However dear they are to our hearts. They cannot be regained
Only refabricated in ink dots and TV pixels.

Is it worth the time it takes
To pour seconds into another, knowing they will never be regained-
Knowing that they will only be thrown to the ground
Like priceless drops of rain, shattering as they fall-

Is it worth the time it takes to review
The time we've spent and the ways we've spent it-
Or is hindsight as pointless as buying a wallet-

Is it worth the time
Just to sit here and be with You tonight
A constant stream of two-way thought
Uninterrupted by audible words
Crickets screech and moon pours down
I know that I am found

Yes. It is worth every second.
Just to be with You coats my moments in gold
Untold worth is found in knowing Your heart
If I ever reach the grave I will be able to look back and say
I truly lived.

No comments:

Post a Comment