I used to dislike poetry. There was something inside of me that had a deep disdain for the form and pattern of perfectly rhyming couplets. I loathed limericks and felt the sudden urge to break the sixth commandment over the head of anyone who mouthed one within earshot, a conviction I hold to this day.(For those alarmed by my last statement, the sixth commandment refers to murder, not adultery.)
But over time I have come to recognize an artistry and playfulness with words that touches the deepest part of the heart. A picture is worth a thousand words, but sometimes words can cut corners by painting pictures. Some of these word paintings are so packed with meaning that they catch in my throat and give me heartburn.
I would like to introduce you to some of my favorite word painters. These are men and women who have observed the numbing beauty of the world around us and have not shrunk back, but rather made attempts to capture them and share with others.
Looking forward. Do you think there might be some word paintings from you as well?
ReplyDelete